Monday, March 10, 2014

Los primeros días

      After not having anything of particular consequence to write about for the past two years, I am finally back on the blogging wagon as I have embarked on my latest adventure- student teaching in Panama City, Panama. Melissa and I arrived here on Saturday, and thus far, it has been fantastic.

     The trip down here went incredibly smoothly, gracias a Dios, and we arrived in Panama around 10:30 Saturday night. Silvio and Erinn (my collaborating teacher and his wife, who is also the principal) met us at the airport and took us to their home where we snacked and chatted until all of us could barely keep our eyes open. On Sunday, Erinn and Silvio were kind enough to take us on a full tour of Panama City. We went to the Old Quarter, the beach, the causeway, the Canal, and our school. We saw so many incredible things, including sloths. I had no idea this is where they lived, but it was so cool. After we dropped Melissa off, Silvio, Erinn and I relaxed at the house and ate pizza. And went to bed veryyyyyyyy early.

     Today was great. I met my students and the majority of the teachers at school. Everyone has been very welcoming and excited that we are here and the students, as always, have had tons of questions for me. Everything from how old I am to what sorority I am in to if I have a boyfriend (you're already famous, Shelby), to why I want to be a teacher. The school has a great environment with a fascinating student population. So far, students have told me they are from Texas, Brazil, England, Peru, and Canada, as well as Panama. I am so excited to learn more about this school and all of my students.

    So far, Panama has proved to be very interesting in itself. There is a pretty significant American influence here due to the Canal, however Panamanians have infused that into their own culture. For example, they use American dollars here, but all prices have to be posted in Balboas, the Panamanian equivalent of the dollar. The construction of the Canal has shaped this area so greatly and yet there is an incredibly high sense of patriotism and pride in being Panamanian. Every Monday, the school performs a Panamanian flag ceremony because the Ministry of Education requires every school to perform an act of patriotism once a week. I really enjoyed watching it this morning and I can't wait to learn more of the intricacies of this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment