Friday, July 3, 2015

All who wander are not lost... Unless you actually are lost.

Today we completed our first 22 km of the Camino and we are now in a little pueblo somewhere in the province of Castillo y Leon. Today we definitely were getting our pilgrim legs underneath us. We got lost probably within 15 minutes of starting our trip, but we figured it out quickly. We got out of Leon and into the country which was gorgeous. We stopped at a cafe and has some bocadillos, which dad loved. He's all about the cured meats. There were several adorable old Spanish men in the bar and I just love hearing them banter back and forth. We kept trekking and ran into some beautiful farm land on a dirt path and it was one of the most gorgeous days I've ever seen. Thankfully the wind was blowing enough to make it not obvious how hot it actually was today. 

At one point we thought we were in a different town than we were, so that took us a while to figure out. We eventually got to our final destination and it is great. Our hostel has a pool (wut) and everyone is super friendly. We actually got a ride to the grocery store from our hostel because the owner was at the bar in our hostel. She was hysterical and we got some delicious meat that is typical of Leon but I can't remember the name. Dad also ventured it on his own to save us a spot at dinner and had a total Spanglish moment. I can't wait to see the the restaurant owner later and hear what she has to say. 

There are quite a few characters on the Camino, including one who is loudly talking about how his gay friends make passes at him all the time. 

This has been hard so far, however I can already tell it will be well worth it. I watched Wild on the plane over here for inspiration and every time my backpack started hurting me, I would tell myself if Reese Witherspoon can carry her backpack, I can carry mine. We will see how long that mentality lasts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment