Tuesday, July 7, 2015

It's all downhill

I woke up this morning in a really bad mood. You're probably thinking, "but Brianna, you are in a beautiful country seeing wonderful things and meeting wonderful people. How could that be??" Well, because of several screaming children outside our window as well as some very vocal farm animals, I did not get a lot of sleep. And for some reason I was feeling lonely, even though I am constantly surrounded by very out going people. So I walked a head of dad for a lot of the day (sorry, dad). 

However, one of the things that made me snap out of it was that we reached the highest point in the Camino today, la Cruz de Ferro. Here you are supposed to put a stone from your country at the base of a cross on a huge wooden pole. I didn't bring a stone from the states for practical reasons, so I found one this morning before we arrived. At first, I was looking for a big one so that people would know I had been there. But the thought occurred to me that I am only one small part of this much larger Camino experience. I am only one small part of the human experience. And more importantly, I need God to help me through it all. For the past 5 days, I have been trying to make it on my own. I've had dad depending on me to a certain extent for translating purposes and I've been carrying my own burdens too. But this morning, when I laid my small stone at the cross, I was reminded that that is what I have to do daily, if not hourly. 

After that, my mood significantly improved and we started to descend from the mountain. Now we are in this sweet little town that has a river that they have dammed into a kind of swimming pool. We swam and laid in the sun with the family from Barcelona for a while this afternoon before showering and naps. And now I am off the explore the town even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment