Thursday, January 26, 2012

Procrastination... I Mean a Very Important Entry

As you probably noticed from the title, this entry is more for me as a break from my studying than for anyone who might be reading it. So much for that American work ethic...

La Giralda
Inside La Catedral
Alright, so today has been a pretty awesome one! First I woke up early and went to study in our classroom building, but before I did that, I went to this tiny hole in the wall cafe for breakfast and it was really good. I really like the way that they do breakfast here, it is very simple and not a ton of food, but it fills you up enough to get you through to lunch. Then I was actually productive and made an outline for my test tomorrow and went to class. Then during our practical part of class, we went to the Cathedral of Seville. This cathedral is massive, and it is third largest in the world, if I heard correctly in class. Anyways, it is huge and it was originally a mosque, but after the Reyes Católicos came in to power, they tore down the mosque to build the cathedral. The only part of the mosque that they left standing was the patio and the tower, or the Giralda. The giralda initially was a minaret to make the call to prayer for the muslims who lived in Seville. Once the mosque was torn down, the designers wanted to keep it, but they didn't want it to be the same giralda, so they just plopped a bell tower and a cross on top of it. Whatever works I guess. We climbed all the way to the top of it, which it is about 35 stories tall. Fortunately, there are only ramps on the way up, because horses used to carry people up to make the call for prayer. It was gorgeous from up there because you could see the entire city and then some.
View from La Giralda
Just hangin with Chris Columbus

As a fun fact, Christopher Columbus and his son are both buried underneath the Cathedral. I think this is SO COOL. I don't know why, but I think it is so neat that the person who made known to Europe that North America existed was right under my feet. Nerd, I know.

After la Giralda, I went home and had a wonderful lunch with my senora. I don't know if the food is really that much better here or what, but I can't get enough. Fortunately I walk about 80 miles a day, so I'm not too worried about gaining a million pounds. Then two of my friends helped me film myself teaching a lesson for a second interview for an internship this summer. I am so excited about this opportunity, but I don't want to get my hopes up yet. I'm nervous too. After the filming, we got churros and chocolate, again. Alright, I might gain some weight at the rate I am putting back churros and chocolate. But you only live once, right? And we certainly don't have this in the U.S. I've been studying pretty much ever since, with the exception of dinner.

Tonight my senora taught us how to make home made empanadas, with ham, dates, cheese, and a meat called chucos (I think), that is a lot like ham. It was so delicious and I cannot wait to try to make them at home. And this was the first night that I had started to feel like everyone in this house is a family, not a family and then a couple of intruders on their lives. It is kind of a hard feeling to explain, but when we were all in the kitchen, it was a nice feeling of connectedness and that everyone wanted to be there learning how to make this together. Whatever it was, it made me happy.


Alright, I guess I should get back to studying... or maybe I will go watch Vampire Diaries with my senora instead. Also, below are some pictures pertaining to the last entry. Better later than never, right?

Basilica de la Macarena
Muralla that surrounded Seville

No comments:

Post a Comment